Analogous Era: Early 20th century standard, Gilded Age, Roaring Twenties
Genre: Diesel/Dungeon Punk
Power-water mills, charm bags, magic crystal/gems, engine starter, steam engine, internal combustion engine, electrochemical batteries, dry-cell battery, geothermal spring, DC current
Transportation-bicycle, quadracycle, monowheel, zepplin, bathysphere, biplane, seaplane, hand glider
Medicine– psychiatry, gauze bandage, diagnostic medical devices (stethoscope), microscope
Cooking– charcoal grill, tandoor, wood oven, kitchen stove, hot pot, kettle, gas stove
Food storage– dry pantry, still houses, icebox, smoke houses, brine barrels, preserve jars, metal cans, gelatin, stewing jugs
Communication– typewriter, ink and feathered pen, electric radio, ribbon microphone, magazines, black and white film projector
Weaponry– short sword, dagger, broadsword, cutlass, kurki, katana, tachi, main-gauche, glaive, hook-sword, buckler, sai, katar, mace and chain flail, quarterstaff, urumi, lance, longbow, composite bow, recurve bow, arquebuses, musket, bayonet, single shot pistols, harmonica gun, multipurpose magic wand
- Fairy (some Seelie)
- Homin (some Forest)
- Genius Loci (some)
- Merfolk (some)
- Harpy (few)
- Lamia (few)
- Huli Jing
- Genius Loci
- Skilled craftsmen formed guilds in settled towns still recovering their populations and commerce.
- Alchemical reactions lead to rediscovery of combustion engines. Internal combustion engines are created to compete with popular steam models via diesel or gasoline.
- Rediscovery of storing mana into crystal and gemstones, charm bags with jewels can now last longer and have bigger effect radius.
- Patent for a barrage wall with turbines installed in to generate power as water flows in and out of the estuary basin, bay, or river.
- Merchants and tradesmen that came together in guilds became savvy businessmen and learned to deal with moneylenders and bankers.
- People of various trades like blacksmithing, medicine, printing, cuisine, textile, engineering, magical study, later came together to form various types of guilds.
- Advances in new fields of science and engineering are made within guilds. Soon the guilds hold demonstrations to the public displaying various new inventions and experiments.
- Increase in guilds leads to creation of regional councils who deal with the affairs of various guilds along with standardized rules of initiation, membership, and apprenticeship.
- Guilds for adventuring become the most popular way to bring in both personal and community wealth, causing them to spread widely.
- Adventuring in unclaimed wilderness increased the occurrence of various melee weapon variations for protection along trade routes, and wandering bandits between settlements.
- Various types of handheld firearms experiment with various launching mechanisms like matchlocks, wheel locks, flintlocks, and cap-locks. They were mainly used as distraction measures or emergency weaponry in magic depleted situations, but the number of those depending on them or specializing with them were growing steadily.
- Scraps of technology from the war become integrated into personal warfare or re-purposed for other devices.
- Publications launch new school of thought, behaviorism. In contrast to psychoanalysis, behaviorism focuses on observable and measurable behavior. It reaches critical acclaim when an experiment using behaviorist principles is able to domesticate a few generations of harpies into developing empathy and becoming suitable for civil society. This implies that not all monstrous humanoids are innately evil and can potentially enter greater society.
- Coastline guilds begin to incorporate Merfolk as members and consumers, adventuring guilds uncover lost technology and artifacts from lunar civilization and advanced weaponry from the Ghul Wars.
- The spread of knowledge in guilds from various sources began to breakdown species and racial barriers within their walls, and slowly within their local communities.
- Early refrigerators (iceboxes), a wood cabinet often decorated with some etched designs on the front exterior surface. They included two separate compartments, an insulated, lined area at the top designed to hold large chunks of ice and a bottom section with shelves for storing perishable food products. Some of the ice compartments were top-loaded; others front-loaded through doors. A very necessary part of the system was an interior pipe, which drained water from the melting ice to a collection pan located at the bottom or on the floor.
- A guild ran by the race of metallic beings called the AGI make head way with rescue missions and device manufacturing. Eventually their efforts lead to the use of interchangeable parts and factories used this to make assembly lines.
- With creation of the microscope, Alchemists could plainly observe the building blocks of life, cells, and the interactions taking place.
- Increase of psychology in the public knowledge, revives small guilds focusing in parapsychology. The “mental force” of old observed by spirits and select individuals is re-branded as psychokinetic energy and is found to be sympathetic with changes in electromagnetic fields.
- Lamia working in cheesemaking discover microorganisms like bacteria and yeast producing effects that suppress the growth of bacterial biofilms and pathogens. Antibiotic chemicals are discovered and isolated from these groups of fungi and non-pathogenic bacteria. Use of these greatly reduced number of bacterial disease caused deaths for Homins and severity of symptoms in faye species.
- The link between electricity and magnetism is found via the field theory; invented principle of electromagnetic induction leads to the earliest electric motor and generator.
- A glassblower invents an early fluorescent light bulb, soon after the first incandescent light bulb was made for commercial production. However it used DC, which could only be transmitted for short distances.
- Aviation guilds recover lost blueprints and designs to aircraft and attempt to engineer them. They resurrect the biplane design along with propeller based engines as they continue experimenting with jet engines.
- First economically practical power station in a major city allows for distribution of DC electricity for homes and businesses, including street lighting via overhead wires.
- A few decades of experiments are made involving microbes to determine whether spontaneous generation gives rise to life forms. Eventually experiments refuted the idea and Kaphian cities grew to accept that living things only came from living things.
Posted on February 27, 2015, in Arcane Realm, Timeline and History and tagged arcane realm, aviation, daggers, dieselpunk, dungeon punk, electromagnetism, fantasy world, firearms, guilds, hand guns, monsters, paranormal, psychology, swords, timeline. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.