Quality of Life Standardization/Globalization
Analogous Era:mid 20th century standard of living, Electrical Age
Genre: Diselpunk, Urban/Dungeon Punk
Power-electric generator/motor, direct current, alternating current, solar cells, wind turbine, geothermal springs, alchemical reactors, few nuclear reactors, gemstone charm bags
Transportation-bicycle, quadracycle, motorcycle, mono-wheel, automobile, subway train, elevator brake, escalator, motorcycle, radar, time zones, windshield
Medicine-bandage, antibiotics, prescription pills, vaccinations, anesthetic, sterile surgery, acupuncture, x-ray machine, blood transfusion, organ transplantation, contact lenses, dialysis, germicidials
Cooking- kitchen stove, pressure cooker, solar cooker, microwave oven
Food Storage- refrigerator, freezer, metal can, cardboard box, can opener
Communication-ball point pen, radio, television (color), record player, movie camera, instant camera, copy machine, typewriter, fax machine
Weaponry-swords, ionized blades, handgun, long guns, rifle, shotgun, gatling guns, tanks, raygun, elemental arrows, electric scepter, chemical pistol, magic boomstick, charged staves
Have significant residence in cities/suburbs
- Lamia (some)
- Genius Loci
- Harpy (some)
- Huli Jing (some)
- Tanuki (some)
- Huli Jing
- Genius Loci
Avoided/spurred by civilization
- The first solar cell able to convert sunlight into electricity was constructed.
- The revised Jinn Government, Fairy, and Homins come together to create the United Sapient Species to prevent future inter-species war and genocide, mutual rebuilding of societies, and set up programs for social equity.
- Invention of alternating current made it possible to transmit electricity at high voltages over long distances.
- Debates over AC and DC electricity over practicality and safety. Demonstrations of AC lead to it being used in the first large scale central generation system and high-voltage AC transmission lines were built to connect lower-voltage distribution lines in towns and cities.
- Integration of power lines across a country led to the idea of a national power grid that provided AC mainly to urban areas.
- Electric powered households gained new inventions such as the vacuum cleaner, washing machine, air conditioner, refrigerator, fluorescent lamp, pop-up toaster.
- Mana based power began to emerge as USS passed an Act that encouraged research, development and demonstration
- Globalization is often blamed for increasing risk behaviors such as smoking and alcohol consumption, increasing social conflict, loss of identity, dislocation and dissatisfaction. Others argue that greater cultural exchange is likely to increase tolerance and understanding, while more access to information can create lifestyle and social changes with health benefits, such as gender equality, greater respect for people’s rights
- Early cultural programs are set up in human, faye, and spirit societies; a few groups against integration polices rise up and promote species-ist qualities
- Exploration of Lunarian ruins rediscovers advanced technology for the wartime era; reverse engineering provides for new domestic technologies; a huge renaissance in applied sciences.
- Renaissance spurs the creation of new utilitarian and domestic focused spell-craft; electric and mana central stations providing public power is tested in a few major mixed race urban centers; its success leads to plans of future implementations.
- The idea to the world divide into 24 time zones so that everyone in the world can be on roughly similar schedules (like noon being roughly when the sun is highest in the sky) was proposed by railway planners and engineers.
- Corporations and free trade increase, guilds decrease as education and jobs become more centralized and sedentary.
- More cities and suburbs are made displacing open territories and incorporating indigenous settlements
- Creation of technology shortens work hours, creating a leisure class. Supermarkets, delicatessens and packaged foods become the norm in large cities.
- Mana fuel cells become a commercial success; Alchemical reactors power large cities with electrical generators as back up.
- Guilds starts to get absorbed into larger corporations and start to fade away.
- With depletion in accessible coal and oil, began to embrace renewable energy, building monumental wind farms as well as the first large scale solar-thermal power plant.
- Diseases of affluence begin to crop up in urbanized and wealthy nations after a few generations.
- Advancements in farming, domestic and commercial tech, communications, and recreation are shared between species and integrated in civilian lives.
- All Lunarians awake from stasis with goals to slowly rebuild their culture and civilization; specific cultures develop according to area.
- Standardization of the availability of modern education, communications, energy, medical treatment, weaponry, transportation, and manufacturing is carried for all ethnic groups although indigenous varieties are still made available.
Posted on February 28, 2015, in Arcane Realm, Timeline and History and tagged another world, arcane realm, electrical age, globalization, leisure class, modern, renewable energy, world building. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.